POSITION ON TAX CAP
Please contact ST CAUCUS with questions on our position.
This law is inherently undemocratic, and handcuffs almost all school districts throughout the state. It must be eliminated. Tom DiNapoli has identified 82 school districts who are fiscally distressed. The communities these schools serve have tried to pierce the tax cap, turning out 59% of votes, only to fall short. Because of the lack of democracy in the law, 41% of voters can overrule the other 59%. This means school districts are forced to cut services and staff despite overwhelming support from their community.